Transfer Equivalency System

Courses taken without an approved transient credit form, may not transfer as a WVU equivalent course.

The Transfer Equivalency System shows you how credit from other institutions will transfer to WVU. Whether you are thinking about applying, have already been accepted, or are a current WVU student thinking about taking summer courses elsewhere, this system will make the transfer process easier for you!

What kinds of courses transfer to WVU?

WVU accepts all “college-level courses” from “accepted accredited institutions.” Beginning Spring 2012, grades and credits are transferable for college-level courses from accredited US institutions. This policy was already in effect for West Virginia public colleges and universities.

Lab course credit that is earned through self-taught, online or correspondence will not transfer as direct equivalent course credit. The credit would transfer as open credit or electives.

Credit hours transfer to WVU based on the number of hours earned at your institution. For example, you earned 3 credit hours in a Computer Science course at your institution and the WVU equivalent course is 4 credit hours: WVU would only transfer in 3 credit hours.

How do courses transfer to WVU?

There are two ways that courses transfer to WVU. The first is as “exact equivalents” to WVU courses. This means that when a course at your institution matches a WVU course, we assign that course a WVU equivalent course number. For example, Sociology 100, Introduction to Sociology, at your institution is the same as Sociology 101, Introduction to Sociology, at WVU. Therefore, we will transfer the course as Sociology 101.

How are my transfer credits used toward my degree?

The second way courses transfer is as “open credit.” When a course at your institution (Sociology 200, Sociology of Plants) does not match any WVU course (we don’t have Sociology of Plants), we will still give you “open credit” in sociology for the course. Your academic department at WVU will tell you how open credit courses count toward your degree.

The decision for how all courses (including open credit courses) are used towards graduation is determined by your academic department. You may contact the appropriate department at any time to discuss your transfer work.

What if I’m a current WVU student, but want to take courses elsewhere?

Simple, just visit your academic advisor. Your advisor will give you permission to take the courses you want to take. Once you know what those courses are, you and your advisor can access this system to determine the transfer course equivalents. For more details, see the Transient Credit Approval Process

How do I use this system?

Courses taken without an approved transient credit form may not be used for the purpose the student intended for the credit hours.

The WVU Transfer Equivalency System is designed to help advisors and students identify WVU course equivalency information for courses from various sending institutions. To use the system follow the transfer equivalency instructions :

  • Select a sending institution from the pull-down menu. The next screen will provide you with the sending institution course name, course number, credit hours and the WVU course equivalents.
  • Select the courses you have completed or wish to take. This information will then be added to the report.
  • If applicable, select another institution. You may add equivalency data from several institutions.
  • Select the ‘Print Report’ button when your input is complete.
  • Print the evaluation using the browser Print function from the File menu.

If the college you are attending isn’t listed in the online system, call us at 1-800-344-WVU1 or email We will check to see if we have the catalog on file. We have entered only the most common transfer colleges in the system (about 126 institutions). If you are a current WVU student, just complete the Transient Credit Application Form with your advisor and come see us in the Admissions Office.

This evaluation is unofficial. Students will need to provide an official transcript to West Virginia University for all courses to be transferred officially.

I have questions about all of this. I need help!

First access this system and look around. If this doesn’t help, call us toll-free at 1-800-344-WVU1, or email us at

Glossary of Terms

  • College-Level Courses – Courses that are NOT developmental, remedial, or technical in nature. For example, Developmental Math, Remedial English, and Word Processing are not college-level courses. Beginning Spring 2012, grades and credits are transferable for college-level courses from accredited US institutions. This policy was already in effect for West Virginia public colleges and universities.
  • Accepted Accredited InstitutionsWVU recognizes most regionally and nationally accredited institutions. If you have a question about whether we accept credit from an institution, call us.
  • West Virginia Board of Trustees Institutions – All public institutions of higher education in West Virginia.
  • Exact Equivalents – Courses from other institutions that have an exact match at WVU.
  • Open Credit – Courses from other institutions that don’t have an exact match at WVU.
  • Transient Credit Application Form – The form used by current WVU students to gain approval from the academic advisor to take courses at another institution and transfer the courses to WVU. You can download this form here.