Your Mountaineer Timeline for First-Time Freshmen
This timeline is for first-time freshmen with a fall term start; spring students are encouraged to contact their WVU Admissions Counselor for assistance.
August 1 - First-time Freshman Application Opens
Apply using the WVU application or the Common Application.
Admissions decisions will process beginning August 15.
Schedule a Visit to WVU
In-person, virtual and self-guided options are available, including daily Visitors Center tours and open house events – Experience WVU!
- October 1 - Promise Scholarship application available to West Virginia residents.
- Early October - Housing applications, self-selection portal and exemption filings are available to admits who have paid the academic deposit.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The Honors College begins reviewing applications.
- Check your WVU Portal and MIX email frequently for important financial aid and merit scholarship details.
- March 1 - FAFSA priority deadline for WVU. The 2024-2025 priority deadline has been extended to April 1 due to the delayed FAFSA launch.
- Mid-March: New Student Orientation details are sent to admits who have paid the academic deposit and submitted the housing deposit or exemption.
- April 1 - WVU priority deadline for submitting the 2024-25 FAFSA. The 2024-2025 priority deadline was been extended due to the delayed FAFSA launch.
Take the ALEKS math placement assessment.
ALEKS is required of all first-time freshmen prior to meeting with an academic advisor and scheduling courses as part of New Student Orientation.
- June 1 - Scholarship deadline: students enrolling in the fall must be admitted by June 1 to be eligible for merit scholarships. Admitted students have until June 1 to submit updates to GPA or test scores . Earlier deadlines may apply for select awards.
- June 1 – Deadline to cancel for the fall 2024 term start and receive a full refund of the academic deposit and partial refund of the housing deposit.
- June 1 - Student Insurance Waiver and immunization documentation is available.
- June - New Student Orientation takes place throughout the month.
- June - Dining plans available for selection.
- August - Residence hall move-in. Time slots for all residence halls will be available each day.
August 21 - First day of fall 2024 classes.