Your Mountaineer Timeline for First-Time Freshmen
This timeline is for first-time freshmen with a fall term start; spring students are encouraged to contact their WVU Admissions Counselor for assistance.
August 1 - First-time Freshman Application Opens
Apply using the WVU application or the Common Application.
Admissions decisions will process beginning August 22.
In-person, virtual and self-guided options are available through our Visitors Centers.
Open house registration is available for fall events.
Check out all of our Experience WVU options.
- October 1 - Housing applications, self-selection portal and exemption filings are available to admits who have paid the academic deposit.
- October 1 - Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
October 1 -
Promise Scholarship application available to West Virginia residents.
- Check your WVU Portal and MIX email frequently for important financial aid and merit scholarship details.
- Connect with your Admissions Counselor and sign up for a one-on-one appointment.
- March 1 - FAFSA priority deadline for WVU and West Virginia Promise Scholarship.
- Mid-March: New Student Orientation details are sent to admits who have paid the academic deposit and submitted the housing deposit or exemption.
- June 1 - Deadline to be admitted for central merit scholarship eligibility; earlier deadlines may apply for select awards.
- June 1 - Last day to submit updated GPA or test scores for merit review.
- June 1 - Student Insurance Waiver and immunization documentation is available.
- June - New Student Orientation takes place throughout the month.
- June - Dining plans available for selection.
- First week of July - Fall charges are applied to your bill and available in WVU MyAccount via your WVU Portal.
August 10-12 - Residence hall move-in. Time slots for all residence
halls will be available each day.
August 16 - First day of fall 2023 classes.