To apply for Academic Forgiveness, you must have attended an accredited
U.S. college or university and cannot have been enrolled at any
higher education institution for at least four calendar years. Please note WVU
does not recognize prior Academic Forgiveness granted by another institution.
This policy will replace any other prior academic forgiveness granted and the
cumulative incoming GPA for students granted Academic Forgiveness will reflect
the application of WVU’s policy and not the prior institutions.
- Complete and sign the top half of the Petition for Admission under Academic Forgiveness Policy.
- Admissions verifies your transcript record and calculates the number of credit hours with which you will be readmitted or admitted. The petition and transcript(s) are forwarded to the Dean of the College or School you wish to enter.
- Petition is approved by the Dean of the College or School student wishes to enter.
- Petition is forwarded to the Associate Provost for Academic Programs for approval.
- Recommendation for admission under Academic Forgiveness is returned to the Office of Admissions for appropriate processing.
- After you have been admitted under the Academic Forgiveness Policy, you must complete 60 or more credit hours prior to earning a degree.