First-time Freshman Scholarships at WVU
Hard work pays off. Literally.
It’s easy to qualify for our merit scholarships. Just submit your application to WVU and we’ll take care of the rest!
Our admissions application and merit awarding both include a no-harm policy – you will not be penalized whether applying with scores or test optional. Use our charts below to determine your eligibility for the Scholarship of Distinction for score senders, or the Go First Scholarship for test optional applicants. You can also use our scholarship calculator.
- WVU’s first-time freshman merit deadline is June 1.
- As a courtesy, WVU permits admitted students to continue to submit updated test
scores and GPA calculations until June 1.
- Changes are not automatic for GPA edits; you must request a review of new credentials by submitting the GPA Update Request form with the WVU Office of Admissions.
- Test scores are automatically updated if received prior to the deadline via official score report or from the testing center.
- Please visit our
Undergraduate Scholarship Office to learn more about all merit offerings.
- And don’t forget to submit the FAFSA form, which opens October 1 for the 2023-2024 academic cycle. You may qualify for additional need-based and institutional aid. Our priority deadline for the FAFSA is March 1, 2023. Residents of West Virginia applying for the Promise Scholarship must submit the FAFSA and Promise application by March 1, 2023.
Apply Now Diversity Scholarships Leadership Scholarships External Scholarships
Scholarship of Distinction
The Scholarship of Distinction is for score senders. You cannot receive both the Scholarship of Distinction and Go First Scholarship.
Go First Scholarship
The Go First Scholarship is for test optional applicants. You cannot receive both the Scholarship of Distinction and Go First Scholarship.
|Level 1 (4.2 and above GPA)||$3,500
|Level 2 (3.8-4.19 GPA)||$2,500
|Level 3 (3.5-3.79 GPA)||$1,500
|Level 4 (3.2-3.49 GPA)||$1,250
|Level 5 (3.0-3.19 GPA)||$750