Your Mountaineer Timeline
Many deadlines for fall 2020 have changed because of the COVID-19
pandemic. For answers to common questions and our latest info, please visit
COVID-19 Admissions FAQ page.
- August 15: WVU begins processing admissions applications. WVU has a rolling admissions policy, which means there isn't a specific admission application deadline. Applicants are considered for and informed of admission on a first-come, first-served basis.
Housing applications are available. You must pay the academic deposit before
you apply for housing.
- October 1: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens.
October 1: First-time freshmen who are West Virginia residents can submit
the PROMISE Scholarship application. Additional information can be found at
- November: Room selection begins.
- Early November: Immunizations and student insurance portal opens for students entering in the spring semester.
- December 1: Academic deposit payment due for students entering in the spring.
- December 28: Health insurance waiver due for students entering in the spring semester.
- WVU begins awarding scholarships to admitted, incoming freshmen.
- Financial award packages (merit and need-based) awarded.
Submit the FAFSA before this date for priority consideration of all aid programs.
New Student Orientation information is sent to students who have paid the
March 1: Deadline for first-time freshmen who are West Virginia residents
to apply for the PROMISE Scholarship by submitting both the
PROMISE application and
Consider setting up a
tuition payment plan
for fall semester charges.
- June 1: Academic deposit payment due for students entering in the fall.
- June 1: Last day to cancel your attendance and receive a full refund on academic deposit and partial refund on the housing deposit.
New Student Orientation.
- Choose a dining plan. If you're living on campus and haven't selected a plan by June 28, you'll be assigned the Go 13 dining plan.
- Early June: Immunizations and student insurance portal opens for students entering in the fall semester.
Fall charges will be available in STAR. If you owe a balance, you will receive
a bill in your MIX email. You
will not receive a bill if you have paid your fees, have established
a payment plan that covers your balance, have a sponsor paying your fees or have
enough aid to cover your charges. You can set up a
payment plan as soon as you are admitted to pay in monthly installments.
- July 15: Last day for admitted students to submit updated GPA and test scores for review of increased WVU merit aid.
- July 15: Last day WVU will award merit- and need-based funding for students admitted by July 15. You must have a completed FAFSA on file to be eligible for need-based funding.
- Complete the
financial wellness course and the first section of the alcohol education program.
- August 1: Health insurance waiver due.
August 15-22: Residence hall move-in.
- August 26: First day of fall 2020 classes. 2020-21 Academic Calendar
- September 1: Payment for fall tuition and fees due.
- The 2020 payment deadline for fall charges on July eBills has been extended (from August 1) to allow more time for students to plan for the fall semester.