Apply for Financial Aid
- October 1 — Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available.
- End of November/Early December — WVU begins awarding financial award packages (merit and need-based).
- March 1 — FAFSA must be submitted for priority consideration for all aid programs.
- Gather your family's income information.
- File the FAFSA as soon as possible between October 1 and March 1. Use FAFSA school code 003827 to send your information to WVU's Morgantown campus.
- Once your application is processed by the Federal Processing Center, a notification will be sent to you either electronically (if you included an email address on the application) or by mail in a paper Student Aid Report. If you included our school code on your application, we will receive your information electronically from the Federal Processing Center.
- Review your award and respond within 30 days. If you met the priority filing deadline of March 1, you can expect to receive your WVU financial aid offer in early April.
Federal regulations require us to select a certain number of applications for a review process called “verification.” If your application is selected, you will be notified by our office through a written request for additional information. You will have 30 days to submit the required documents. Your financial aid will not be processed until all required documents are received.
- Use the Net Price Calculator to project your eligibility for federal and state aid programs and see the actual cost of attending WVU.
- Apply on time. The application deadline for need-based aid is March 1. However, the earlier you file, the better! To receive academic scholarships, the admissions application process must be completed by April 21. There are limited funds available in some aid programs; meeting filing deadlines is very important.
- Be sure applications are complete and correct.
- Know your rights and responsibilities.
- Read correspondence completely, and respond promptly.
- Remember to accept your Financial Aid package in your Student Account.
- Establish a budget for your college expenses and stick to it.
- Complete your federal tax returns as soon as possible and keep photocopies.
- Indicate your financial aid refund preferences through our partner, Tuition Management Systems. You are highly encouraged to sign up for direct deposit.
- For those who have signed up for direct deposit, refunds will be available on August 11, 2017 and will continue through the following weeks as funds are processed to student accounts.
If you need help completing the FAFSA, call Federal Student Aid Programs at 800-4FED-AID or call the WVU Financial Aid Office at 304-293-5242.